List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Partial menus?
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-07-18 20:01:14

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> Random thoughts:
>
> With KOM/OP, we can have embedded components that have their own menu and tool
> bars.  That's cool.
>
> I've been thinking lately, though, of embedded components that aren't quite
> that advanced.  What if it were possible for a component to only have a single
> menu... or even one single menu item.  And what if this menu was *always*
> visible -- no dependent on the component being active.
>
> This first occured to me when I was working with an add-in debugging tool for
> Visual C++ (BoundsChecker -- I really wish there was a free Unix-based
> equivalent to it).  BoundsChecker asked when it installed if you wanted to
> integrate it with VC++.  If you checked 'yes', then from then on, you would
> see a few BoundsChecker specific options in the existing menu bar.  They
> would be there even if BoundsChecker was not running!
>
> Quick question for now: is this possible already and I haven't noticed it?

Yes, OpenParts has something useful for this: It's the Part-Child
mechanism. (IIRC I wrote some docu in openparts.idl when I implemented
this (for usage in Konqy) , or you might also want to see in the komop
docu)

However there's no general approach for "partial menus" , you'll have to
implement your own "protocol" .

We do this in Konqueror via smart events, which we send to the view with a
reference to a OpenPartsUI::Menu attached, so that the view can append its
items.

You might want to have a look at browser.idl, as general interface.
There's some short docu about the way we do it in Konqueror.

Hope this helps,
 Simon