List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Innovative Desktop was: Linux for the Masses
From:       Boris Povazay <boris () jouh ! at>
Date:       1999-07-16 8:20:37

Bavo De Ridder wrote:
> "Don't imitate, inovate !"
>
> Currently KDE technology is mostly imitating the existing
> technologies. This is not necessarily wrong. The KDE is too young (2-3
> years) to be really innovative. The KDE had to start from
> scratch. With KDE 2.0 we are reaching a level at which we can really
> start innovating.
>
> IMHO the following items desperately need innovation:
> - KPanel (although recent discussion on this list prove people are
> really working on that !)
> - Kfm's desktop management (when will KDE Active Desktop be available
> ???)
A problem, that the newbie often faces is the "hiding" of windows and
icons. Looking at Oberon you can see a screendesign that prohibits this.
Also MS seems to become aware of that (see their Desktop designs for
2001-2).
We should think of another approach, or at least a way to
"automagically" arrange windows in a way, so they are not hidden. BTW
when using the arrange facilities, only new windows are arranged. Maybe
someone has an idea how to resolve this problem, by keeping in mind,
that no user wants to see windows dis-/re-appearing on different
screenpositions, like the MS-W "rearrange"-function does.

I, myself was thinking of "magnetic lines", like those used within
DTP-enviroments (similar to tabs in wordprocessors), to place windows
within. The grid alone does only help with icons and there it is no big
deal!
So what about implementing these "sticky" lines, that would help to
arrange multiple icons and/or multiple windows. (Since I am working at a
large company, I see many MS-W desktops with the autoarrange function
activated to arrange a magnitute of icons. These are then puzzeling the
user. The only benefit ist, that no icons overlap)

There could also be a new window icon, which again would open a small
desktop-image that contains the magnetic lines and would allow to
rearrange the window in respect to the quadrants with one mousemove
(marking the quadrants).

ciao BoP
P.S.: And what will happen to all the 3D-functionality of new
graphicprocessors - will it be once used within a desktop-enviroment?
--
bp@jouh.at
DI Boris Povazay