List:       kde-devel
Subject:    apps:/Internet/KMail (Was: new class KDesktopFile)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-14 12:07:49

Simon Hausmann wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Pietro Iglio wrote:
>
> > I've just added a new class KDesktopFile to help managing
> > .desktop/.kdelnk files. The new files are in
> > kdelibs/kdecore/kdesktopfile.*
> >
> > Please checkout and let me know what do you think.
>
> It's nice, but it's not necessary IMO :-)
>
> KService can do all the stuff KDesktopFile can do, and many
> other things, too (support for properties for example) .

Slightly related I have the following nice idea/proposal:

In KFM we had these nifty 'magic' directories who merged
global and local items together. This looked very nice and
was confusing like hell.

In KDE 2.0 we can do it better by using a special URL for it.
Let's say 'applications:' or somehwat shorter 'apps:'.

When we have this directory structure for KPanel, e.g. like:

+-Internet
|  |
|  + kmail
|  + krn
|  + ksirc

+-Graphics
|  |
|  + kview
|  + kiconedit

Then we would have:

* "apps:" which show "Internet" and "Graphics" like folders.

* "apps:/Internet" which shows "kmail", "krn", "ksirc"

* "apps:/Internet/kmail" which gets you a .desktop file with all
the properties for kmail.

Of course this scheme takes all the global, group and local .desktop
files of the user into account. The structure is an excact mirror
of the structure shown in the kpanel menu. You should also be able
to modify entries and copy them around with konqy just as you are
used to with normal files. kio_apps will take care to do the right things.

Maybe kpanel can just use kio_apps for making changes as well.

If you want to edit a file by 'hand' you can just open
"apps:/Internet/kmail" from within kedit and you will get a nice
.desktop file. It could be that this file is actually composed
by reading from three different places on your harddisk. You
don't have to know. When you save it, the changes will be stored
in your local .kde directory. (Just like kpanel would do)

Cheers,
Waldo

--
The "gui" in "Penguin" is pronounced "K-D-E"