List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: questions, wishes, bugs
From:       Frank Baumgart <godot () uni-paderborn ! de>
Date:       1999-07-13 22:35:45

Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> Such "wishes" don't fit here IMO. If someone wants to make a KDE port of ddd
> this is fine, but to say someone should stop a project is really not ok and
> unfair!

Let me put it this way: if there is a great application (ddd), looking
for a maintainer and someone starts from scratch building a similar
but apparently way less capable piece of software I won't stop him
(how should I?) but I suggest he takes a look and otherwise I do not
think that is too clever IF he wants his application to have an impact.

Maybe ddd-sources are crap, from what I have seen, they are not.
The real reasons people often do not want to build on existing
solutions are in my experience:
- not invented here syndrome
- unwillingless to look into xxx kLOC
- they want to start immediately, not "wasting" time by doing
  conceptual work before

> I agree, but if it not compiles, fix it - it's an active development!

Done that several times on a per application base.
But how can I do that for the head, when I can reach the cvsup server
at most every 2nd day (with luck; no leased line here). Can you point me
to information about how to commit patches when getting the head branch
via cvsup? I would love to do so (as time permits).

> >W4) drop "about KDE" in every "help" menu. Anyone thinks this is
> >    particular useful?
>
> I see no reason for that.

Point is: I do not think EVERY application is "the" right area
to provide this less than useful (for the application!) piece of
information. Put it on the panel or in the help.
Furthermore, there are URLs included which do not behave as links.
(People here asked where those missing link-behaviour would be,
it is in about every application(!) but apparently noone felt the need
to look into these menus for a long time which is quite understandable
given how much information they provide)
Usability does not neccessarily scale by the number of buttons or menu
items either...

Regarding compile problems (with egcs only?) I mean sth. like:

make[3]: Entering directory `/data/pub/mirror-cvs/kde/kdegraphics/kdvi'
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/opt/kde-2.0pre1/include
-I/usr/local/qt-2.00/include  -I/usr/X11R6/include -Ikpathsea    -O2 -c
dviwin.cpp
dviwin.cpp: In method `void dviWindow::initDVI()':
dviwin.cpp:397: assignment to `char *' from `const char *' discards
qualifiers
dviwin.cpp: In method `void dviWindow::drawDVI()':
dviwin.cpp:416: assignment to `char *' from `const char *' discards
qualifiers
make[3]: *** [dviwin.o] Error
1

Frank