List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: new KPanel application menu
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-07-13 19:21:51

Hmm, seems that my previous mail got lost.

Pietro Iglio wrote:

> At 12.17 13/07/99 +0200, Lars Kneschke <lk@netuse.de> wrote:
> >
> >If root is changing his Panel-Menu, he changes teh other users menu
> >also. Maybe such persons should have a option to make the changes global
> >or personal.
> >I think it would be also useful to have entries that canīt be changed in
> >the menu(write protected menu-parts).
>
> There is no distiction between root and other users, i.e. there is a personal
> menu for root too. When the root changes/adds an application can, if he wants,
> publish changes, as any other user that can write in the global dirs.

But especially in larger networks users shouldnīt be able to change each
and everything. I think there should be a possibility to write protect
parts of the
menu. Imagine larger Companies, Schools, Universities, there will be
quite a lot of non technical people using KDE. If they have the
possibility to delete entries for important applications, they probably
accidently do so sooner or later. And then the sysadmin would have to
repair it, and bring that entry back all the time.

Or in case of other problems, may be a user searches for a specific
application(just as an example). He/She calls the admin, for help. If
everything in the same place for all users the admin can just say go
there->there->there and select that. If not, the users might rearrange
everything and then it will be hard for the admin to tell the user where
the program is.

So IMO it would be good to be able to mark entries/submenus as write
protected.

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology