List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Need for a general purpose database in KDE (maybe kab)
From:       Uwe Klinger <ukl () fh-zwickau ! de>
Date:       1999-07-13 19:47:15

On Die, 13 Jul 1999, Lars Doelle wrote:
> Uwe Klinger wrote:
>
> > On Fre, 09 Jul 1999, Peter Harvey wrote:
> > > Or how about letting the user choose the database format ( SQL Server or
> > > whatever ) via ODBC...
> > >
> > > Lars Doelle, myself and others are working on getting ODBC
> > >  http://www.unixodbc.org ) into KDE.
> > >
> > > I was planning on starting a KDE Data Model project but it is unlikley that
> > > I will have time for several months. The idea is that someone, using a
> > > modeling tool such as S-Designer, maintains a data model for all application
> > > data that can be usefull for other applications. The model is published on
> > > the web and the tool is used to create scripts for intializing a new
> > > database on a variety of DBMS'.
> >
> > I think this is a very important project, i hope you will find some people who
> > want to help you. Maybe we should start a pilot project with kde and address
> > database and see how we can use it in kde and how to go on with future kde
> > development.
>
> Uwe, the address-book-in-an-sql-database thingy has come up several times.
> The problem here is that this would make kde to require an sql dbms to function.
>
> As soon as the libraries are available (there's only one show stopper left right
> now),
> it will be pretty straight forward to put some graphical material on top of it.
> Clearly
> this will be some sort of a data explorer and a driver manager configurator,
> first.
> Also, some integration into koffice (say table import) will be possible then. None
> of
> these applications really needs to have a sql dbms to be installed to configure
> and
> run properly. Instead, when installing a dbms, you can make use of additional
> features. I find this a better way to go.
>
> Lars

Yes I see it, it will be a long way for database integration in kde (maybe
kde3, who knows?)

Ok, we can do it with ODBC + some simple text database (i think it's
offered with unixODBC), that would be enough for a address database.
Maybe the kab people can do version which uses unixODBC and offers a gui
frontend aswell (via libkab)

I'm think about a sort of:

people = odbc->command("select key from currentuser.addresses where ...")
kab->editEntry(people[0][0]);
or:
kab->showEntryInfo(people[0][0]);

should be able with the address interface.
or maybe. kab could offer the database access aswell:
kab = new KAddressBase();
kab->connect("i am")  // default current user
people = kab->odbc("select * from addresses ...")

just an idea...

--
Uwe "UKeY1" Klinger <ukl@fh-zwickau.de>
ICQ: 24151366              Student at Applied Science University of West Saxony