List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Need for a general purpose database in KDE (maybe kab)
From:       "Peter Harvey" <pharvey () codebydesign ! com>
Date:       1999-07-13 12:58:14

>Uwe, the address-book-in-an-sql-database thingy has come up several times.
>The problem here is that this would make kde to require an sql
>dbms to function.

My thinking is that KDE will have to assume a real dbms sooner or later...
but it may be two or three years away. I point to MS and basically it really
does make sense.

I would expect that some app developers may not wait so long to unify data
storage and one possible solution is to use an ODBC driver on top of
something like a text file based db (or other lite db). But even this will
likely take about a year from what I am sensing.

So for now... as Lars says... use it if you need it. Errr when its ready...

Lars; I thought that Nick was working on this one 'show stopper'? If not
then I will step in... let me know.

Peter Harvey