List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: new KPanel application menu
From:       "Robert Hagemann" <rhagemann () psipenta ! com>
Date:       1999-07-13 12:33:35

Hi,

<cite>
In principle, I agree with you. Your approach would also be
more complete, because you can publish at any level (eg. local,
workgroup, all users).

In practice, however, I think that more than two levels can confuse
users. Two levels (personal/global) looks like a right trade-off
between flexibility and simplicity. Thus I'm suggesting, at least for
applications, to keep the old, two-levels model.
</cite>

I'd rather think, it isn't too unlikely to have more than 2 levels. In my
former university there was
some kind of application-profiles. That means, the user could choose to
have the account
configured as Tex-User, Matlab-User, Smalltalk-Programmeer whatsoever. My
suggestion is
to provide some similar mechanism through group levels. You have some
global directory,
some application-profile related directory und the private one. The user
chooses / is configured
to be member of some application group(s). As a result he/she sees the
merges from more than 2 levels.

Just my two coins,

ciao,
Robert