List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Need for a general purpose database in KDE (maybe kab)
From:       Lars Doelle <lars.doelle () on-line ! de>
Date:       1999-07-13 12:08:54

Uwe Klinger wrote:

> On Fre, 09 Jul 1999, Peter Harvey wrote:
> > Or how about letting the user choose the database format ( SQL Server or
> > whatever ) via ODBC...
> >
> > Lars Doelle, myself and others are working on getting ODBC
> >  http://www.unixodbc.org ) into KDE.
> >
> > I was planning on starting a KDE Data Model project but it is unlikley that
> > I will have time for several months. The idea is that someone, using a
> > modeling tool such as S-Designer, maintains a data model for all application
> > data that can be usefull for other applications. The model is published on
> > the web and the tool is used to create scripts for intializing a new
> > database on a variety of DBMS'.
>
> I think this is a very important project, i hope you will find some people who
> want to help you. Maybe we should start a pilot project with kde and address
> database and see how we can use it in kde and how to go on with future kde
> development.

Uwe, the address-book-in-an-sql-database thingy has come up several times.
The problem here is that this would make kde to require an sql dbms to function.

As soon as the libraries are available (there's only one show stopper left right
now),
it will be pretty straight forward to put some graphical material on top of it.
Clearly
this will be some sort of a data explorer and a driver manager configurator,
first.
Also, some integration into koffice (say table import) will be possible then. None
of
these applications really needs to have a sql dbms to be installed to configure
and
run properly. Instead, when installing a dbms, you can make use of additional
features. I find this a better way to go.

Lars