Pietro Iglio wrote: > > At 12.35 13/07/99 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote: > > > >Well, I think, copying these files is _completly_ unacceptable. In our > >university (just as an example) we have 380 users. My current > >KDEDIR/share/apps > >has 291 kbyte in 167 files (wow - there aren't even core files :). This > >would > >mean 110MByte just that the user sees the global entries. > > Well, this could be solved with a copy-on-write strategy: > > - if a file is not in the personal dir, but is in any global dir, > then the file appears in the menu; > > - when the user changes/moves a desktop file, a copy is created in the > personal folder; > > - if the user deletes a file that is in any global dir, a corresponding > desktop file is created with an entry "Deleted=yes" (so that the file is > not added to the menu); > > Are you satisfied with that? Yes, and why do you need the two levels for then? > > About the 110Mb for desktop file: can you tell me the size in percentage > respect to the total size of .kde folders? I'm afraid that you already > need huge hard drives to host 380 users... Well, my current .kde has 116KByte with 72KByte taken from kregistry. 291kb plus for almost no gain is nothing I can really see good things in :) BTW: a much can be gained in .kde size when Kconfig wouldn't save entries there when they're the same as in the global config. > > >I can't see how this would be harder. I think, Waldo already proposed a > >way to handle this. > > I have to look at the details, first. > Sure. Greetings, Stephan -- As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics, Microsoft have nothing to worry about. By Michael Surkan, PC Week Online