List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: new KPanel application menu
From:       iglio () fub ! it (Pietro Iglio)
Date:       1999-07-13 10:59:06

At 12.35 13/07/99 +0200, Stephan Kulow <coolo@kde.org> wrote:

>Well, I think, copying these files is _completly_ unacceptable. In our
>university (just as an example) we have 380 users. My current
>KDEDIR/share/apps
>has 291 kbyte in 167 files (wow - there aren't even core files :). This
>would
>mean 110MByte just that the user sees the global entries.

Well, this could be solved with a copy-on-write strategy:

- if a file is not in the personal dir, but is in any global dir,
  then the file appears in the menu;

- when the user changes/moves a desktop file, a copy is created in the
  personal folder;

- if the user deletes a file that is in any global dir, a corresponding
  desktop file is created with an entry "Deleted=yes" (so that the file is
  not added to the menu);

Are you satisfied with that?

About the 110Mb for desktop file: can you tell me the size in percentage
respect to the total size of .kde folders? I'm afraid that you already
need huge hard drives to host 380 users...

>I can't see how this would be harder. I think, Waldo already proposed a
>way to handle this.

I have to look at the details, first.

-- Pietro