List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: RFC: new KPanel application menu
From:       Christoph Neerfeld <Christoph.Neerfeld () home ! ivm ! de>
Date:       1999-07-13 10:41:49

On 13-Jul-99 Pietro Iglio wrote:
> I'm thinking about an alternative way to generate the application menu in
> kpanel. The idea is to unify the global and personal menus and to allow
> full user customization.
>
> Here are the requirements:
>
> - there is a single application menu (no personal/global);
>
> - the user can completely customize his/her menu without any extra privilege;
>   by customizing I mean: it is possible to change item properties (icon,
>   name, etc.), move an item, delete an item, add a new item, create/remove
>   folders;
>
> - privileged users (= user with write access in $KDEDIR/share/applnk) can
>   publish items; published items will be visible in all users menu;

I'd like to add these requirements:

- posibility to reset an entry to its system default value

- make an entry readonly; what I hate most in Win is that there is no way to
  protect the system from being destroyed by dumb users

- don't change the global settings from within kpanel as root; maybe this is a
  task for a rewritten kmenuedit

wish:

- different system default menus for different users; this does not need many
  changes to kpanel; just some way to tell kpanel where to look for the default
  menu

Regards,

Chris