List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: new KPanel application menu
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-13 9:57:09

Pietro Iglio wrote:

> Note that I'm not considering any other directory layer, such
> as the "group" layer suggested by Stephan because (a) the
> implementation would be much harder and (b) more than two
> layers can be too confusing for users and administrators.
>
> Comments and criticisms will be appreciated.

First of all I like it very much.

Some small points:

$HOME/.kde and $KDEDIR don't exist any more in KDE 2.0.

Instead of $HOME/.kde you should use 'locateLocal()' to find
the location where to store stuff. By default this will be
$HOME/.kde but you can't count on it.

$KDEDIR doesn't exist any more either. Instead the user can
provide a ordered list of directories which to check. When
searching for resources, the most 'specific' directory is
looked up first.

For kpanel I suggest to use for 'publishing' the
"least specific directory the user can write to".

Example:
It he user has
KDEDIRS="/opt/kde:/usr/local/kde:/home/department/.kde:$HOME/.kde"

Then the "most specific" directory is "$HOME/.kde"
the "least specific" directory is "/opt/kde".

When the user has write access to /usr/local/kde,
/home/department/.kde and $HOME/.kde
publishing the application will write it to /usr/local/kde.

----

If you think it is hard to do this with the current implementation
of kstddirs I will be happy to provide additional functionality.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
The "gui" in "Penguin" is pronounced "K-D-E"