List:       kde-devel
Subject:    questions, wishes, bugs
From:       Frank Baumgart <godot () uni-paderborn ! de>
Date:       1999-07-11 10:13:19

Questions:

Q1) what is the recommended version of qt to compile the head branch?
    qt-2.0 or qt-2.1xx?

Q2) what is the recommend/required C++ compiler?
    egcs 2.95-990629 (as well as earlier versions) regularly complain
    about several sources.

Q3) is there any intention to bring some non-technical innovations
    into pretty conventional KDE UI? (perspective walls, pie-menus etc.)

Q4) is anyone working on a speech API?
    Please do not direct me to kvoice(?), it is a nice single-person
    effort but I have more advanced systems like IBM's or Dragon
    System's (anyone spoken to them about a port?) in mind.

Q5) is anyone working on a haptic API for e.g. "FeelMouse"?

Wishes:

W1) drop kdbg, take over ddd development
    ddd is years ahead of kdbg in about every respect (features,
    flexibility, stability, usability) without doubt so I can not see
    much sense in creating an inferior debugger from scratch.
    (well if the author has fun doing it...)

W2) when committing patches please make sure the whole thing at
    least COMPILES :-(

W3) pay attention to usability aspects, KDE is quite poor in this
    respect (e.g. kpanel REQUIRES a mouse - compare to MS Windows)

W4) drop "about KDE" in every "help" menu. Anyone thinks this is
    particular useful?

W5) when displaying URLs, make sure they behave like a hyperlink.

Buglist (old ones that already survived some years):

B1) kmix does not save any values between different runs

B2a) kmpg resets sound card parameters, a task which is up to kmix

B2b) kmpg apparently uses a decoder without buffering, causing
     underruns even on slightly loaded machines
     Well, there are some more bugs or usability glitches regarding
     kmpg but I do not know whether it is still maintained and I
     did not look at KDE aware alternative(s) kmp3 recently.

B3) kpanel lacks easy, VISIBLE FEEDBACK keyboard support.

B4) kpanel: the lowest pixel line (when placed to the bottom) or the
    leftmost pixel column (when placed to the left) are not active and
    do not belong to the button/icon next to it, which is a UI bug.

B5) kpanel displays tooltips even when they are switched off and
    tooltips are even displayed when they only show the same text
    as the button itself, which is quite stupid.
    (this bug report is against ~1.1.1; I did not check head's kpanel
     about this yet)

Frank