List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice article
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       1999-07-07 19:24:12

> On Tue, 06 Jul 1999, Sven Schmidt wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I will be writing an articel about koffice for a German computer
>>magazine by the end of this week.
>>
>>It will most likely be based on the 990203-rpm for SuSE 6.1 (unless
>>someone recommends otherwise and if time permits anything else).
>
> That's a bad idea as this versions is very much outdated - a lot has been done
> since that time.

I really have to agree..

it's not fair to do a review of KOffice from February 3, 1999. Literally
hundreds (more like thousands!) of lines of code have changed or been
improved. Many, Many, Many features have been added or hooked up to their
buttons. Several interface changes have been made. KOffice seems to be much
more stable now. Heck, KOffice no longer uses a qt-1.4.2 snapshot, but the
greatly improved qt-2.0

The source code does take a dozen or so hours to compile (from scratch,
including qt-2.0 and mico). Maybe somebody might care to send Sven Schmidt a
binary of the latest (from July or June) snapshot of KOffice, since it
sounds like he doesn't have time to compile it for his article.  I would,
except my copy of KOffice snapshot (dated 990602), is compiled for the
PowerPC.

Thanks,

Andrew Arthur a.k.a. AArthur
arthur99@global2000.net