List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Comments on maudio2
From:       Billy Biggs <vektor () div8 ! net>
Date:       1999-07-06 11:51:56

This message is being cc:'d to kde-multimedia and kde-devel.  All
followups should go only to kde-multimedia.  If you're not subscribed,
what are you waiting for?  This is in hopes that conversation on these
sort of issues can help get started.

Christian, these questions are pretty much all directed at you though :)

I attempted to take an in-depth look at maudio2/libkmedia today, and I was
very impressed.  I have many comments and questions, I just hope I'm not
asking silly things.

First off, your filter design is quite well suited to many applications
and makes perfect sense.  It is very flexible.  Have you thought of a
common way in which filters can be stored as shared objects so that we can
have audio plugins?  I'm sure this was your intention.

I got everything to build just fine.  I attempted to play a WAV file
through the server using kmedia2, however it looks like it went
(unnecessarily) through the resampler and the audio came out all choppy.
I'm still going through the code though.

How do you propose to handle opening and closing of the audio device?
Have you thought about delay/reverb filters where the audio may extend for
a really long time afterwards (possibly by accident)?

I believe we could make some guarentees about when audio will be played,
as well, some interface should be available to at least guess at how much
audio has been played.  I'm sure this could be possible.

For audio apps that I write, at least the two I'm working on now, some of
the code is insanely time critical.  For example, syncing to external
MIDI.  It looks safe though for me to use the audio filters myself rather
than depend on an audio server at all.  Is that the intent, or does that
go against the design?

Have you considered supporting multiple audio devices?

Hmm... this message got a spammed, I should shut up now.  Thoughts or
comments appreciated,

Thanks,
--
Billy Biggs