List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Easy to use components
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-07-02 17:48:11

weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a remark: Linking libraries is not always a solution.
> Libraries can produce name clashes or can apply for limited
> resources like the alaram timer, use another library in a
> differnet version etc. etc.
>
> That is the reason why KOM components run in separate processes.
>
> What does MS do? does the IE run in its own process, too, or
> is it just a DLL with some ActiveX wrapper ?

Hmm... I'm not entirely sure.  It lists a DLL when you add the ActiveX
component to your project, so that's possible.  However, if you look
in the Registry, you'll see that it lists iexplore.exe as the COM
Server, so I'm not so sure.

My *guess* is that it runs from a DLL inside of your process.  I ran my
app with the task manager running and the only processes that reacted
where my app and the TASKMGR -- I didn't see any other active processes
at that time.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth