List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE 1.2  - some additions
From:       Torsten Rahn <rahn () astrophysik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       1999-07-01 20:09:25

Yes, you read right!
One thought that came up on the Linuxtag was that it would be
better to rename KDE 1.1.2 to KDE 1.2 for the following reasons:

- Because of KDevelop and KThememgr being added you have
  additional features -- so this is no bugfix-release anymore
  only! (But in spite  of this we won't include any further apps!)
- we would return to the  preferred "even version-numbers=stable
  release" - naming-scheme! (Why the hell was KDE 1.1 named 1.1?
  I still don't understand that!)
- This release is definitely worth some PR! And who cares on
  bugfix-releases?

Another thing that was discussed:

I'll try hard to get 32x32 HiColor-Icons into the package by default
instead of those 40color-versions (Yepp, that breaks my heart!).
The simple reason:
Most people already own  a graphics-adapter that is capable to
show more than 256 colors. If you don't own one -- well: wake up!
it costs not much more than 40,- DM in these days ...
Ooops, who said: "But I'm sitting in front of an old Sparc!" -- Hmm,
I think that most people who use it, are using it at the university
(like me!). These people use these computers to get their
non-graphic-related work done! (Otherwise I assume that the
university would replace these machines to give you the ability to
design some art ..). That's why I believe that these people won't
care too much about the fact that the icons are being dithered
down from now on!
Oooops no. 2: You still think that you need 40 color-icons?
Well, we also plan to provide an additional tarball (?)/theme(?)/
 package of low-color-icons  for these people (But only if
you cry now! ;-). Hopefully this package will be avaiable at the
same time as KDE 1.1.^H^H2.

Concerning tarball/release-date:
I think that we will finish the large-icons in about one week!
We will commit them on the following weekend and
hopefully somebody creates a tarball then.
The next aim should be to get the Release-candidate KDE1.2
out on August 1st! If nobody will find any bugs within the
following 14 days we should rename this package to the final
version of KDE 1.2. Otherwise we will have a delay of course!

Soon after KDE 1.2 will be  released (which should read: within
14 days) we should make an 'internal binary-alpha-release
for artists' to give our great artist-team (assume that most are
not  programmers and not able to  compile the HEAD-branch
themselves!) the chance to take  part on the current
KDE 2.0 -development immediately after KDE 1.2 is finished.
This release is just meant to give the artists a thought
how the current apps look and what problems/ chances exist.

It's not meant to be
-stable
-avaiable for every platform
-distributed by any linux-distribution
-announced officially anywhere but on kde-artists/kde-devel
 mailing-list.
- anything that should make people loosing their hair
(To those who have already seen me: Yepp, you're right: I
 won't loose too much hair regardless what  happens!!!
HAHAHA!)

Regards, the artist currently known as ...
Torsten Rahn