List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE RPM's for Redhat 6.0
From:       Troy Engel <tengel () sonic ! net>
Date:       1999-07-01 15:32:36

Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> I think that the KDE team SHOULD issue RPM's for Redhat 6.0, and if Redhat will
> decide to issue them also, well, it will be Redhat fault for confusing the
> users.. Leaving all the KDE users in the dark until Redhat will do something is
> not a good idea (IMHO).

As a packager, my thoughts go even beyond this simple point.  First, the
KDE 1.1.1 official RPMs work just fine on Redhat 6.0; just uninstall all
their crap and run an install of all the files off the KDE FTP site --
it's been working fine for me, outside the few standard bugs.  If
needed, you can --rebuild to get any glibc2.1 issues worked out.

[soap box mode on]
Now, what I disagree with is Redhat's decision to use /usr as the prefix
for all their packages; the KDE team decided a long time ago to use
/opt/kde, and 3rd party packagers like myself (http://kde.tdyc.com) have
packaged dozens of apps using this same prefix and schema, keeping with
the faith.  Now along comes 6.0 and they decide to make the KDE prefix
something else -- what good did you just accomplish, Redhat? A
prerelease version was shipped and now even those people can't easily
upgrade to the new official packages. RANT RANT RANT.

On my end, I am refusing to support their /usr scheme directly.  All my
packages (well, at least most - I try) are defaulted to /opt/kde but can
be relocated to /usr if the person wishes.  However, most people who
contact me (and I see on the newsgroups, at a recent InstallFest, etc) I
recommend the uninstall Redhat rpms and install the official stuff.  Oh
look, problems solved. Humph.
[soap box mode off]

I feel that the core packaging team stick with how they've been doing
it, and Redhat's scheme be damned.  Who runs KDE anyway, us or them?
(hehehe, or 17 guys named Matthias or Stefan...) <g>

-te

--
Troy Engel
Keyserver for PGP Key:13C05D39