List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Common server activation
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-06-27 22:14:28

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> Sticking every bit of information you need in a .desktop file is
> broken.

Please, be so kind and explain why.

> It might be ok for some people used to Windows, or to the SuSE config
> setup, but I do not want a gigantic file /etc/The-System to control
> the whole system.

Huh! This sounds more political than technical.

> And bloating .desktop files is exactly the same in this regard.  "We
> need to add more information, where should it go?"  The answer varies,
> but it is definetly not "on the .desktop file".

How could adding info to several hundreds of .desktop files, optionally
installable and flexibly parseable, be compared with having a huge
registry-like system file?

Again, if you please, could you be so kind to explain why .desktop files
aren't "definitely" the answer?

Cristian

Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna