List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Common server activation
From:       Miguel de Icaza <miguel () gnu ! org>
Date:       1999-06-27 15:51:23

> For GNOME this means (if I got things correctly) : No more ORBit specific
> cookie security handling. I agree here with Steffens points and I think
> using normal unix sockets for IIOP should be sufficient for now.
> What do the GNOME people think?

That is completely broken.  I do not want to see GNOME broken because
CORBA failed to deal with these problems.

The N in GNOME stands for "Network", Unix domain sockets are far from
"Network" in this regard.

On the other topics, I think Elliot has made some very good comments
that would benefit us all.

> But I'm not very well informed about GNOME's .gnorba files and their
> structure, however I think we _could_ put these three types of entries
> into the common .desktop file standard as they're used commonly between
> both environments. We just might want to agree on standard names of them.

Sticking every bit of information you need in a .desktop file is
broken.

It might be ok for some people used to Windows, or to the SuSE config
setup, but I do not want a gigantic file /etc/The-System to control
the whole system.

And bloating .desktop files is exactly the same in this regard.  "We
need to add more information, where should it go?"  The answer varies,
but it is definetly not "on the .desktop file".

Cheers,
Miguel.