List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kded crashes my system (X)
From:       David Faure <david.faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-06-27 20:25:40

On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 10:24:59PM +0200, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:
>
> > Mario Weilguni <mweilguni@sime.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Don't use swapspace, that keeps the system alive. It seems the system
> > > is completly busy managing swapspace, it's not crashed.
> >
> > Well, but there is no disk activity. In addition I can switch between
> > consoles as normal, only all applications have stopped running.
> >
> > I see here:
> >
> > autoregistering KDE Helpcenter...
> > Assert failure in kregfactories line 205
>
> Looks like something went wrong with your binary registry file. Perhaps it
> got corrupted on your system? Try deleting it (~/.kde/share/config/kregistry)

This is the point where using a binary registry gets ... as bad as it is under
Windows. What about handling errors better in the registry loading, and if
anything fails, skip the loading and fall back on reading the ascii files
(which we do anyway - if modification time differs) ?

I know, easy to say, not to do (the "<<" operator doesn't really allow good
error checking !).

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org