Mario Weilguni wrote: > Don't use swapspace, that keeps the system alive. It seems the system > is completly busy managing swapspace, it's not crashed. Well, but there is no disk activity. In addition I can switch between consoles as normal, only all applications have stopped running. I see here: autoregistering KDE Helpcenter... Assert failure in kregfactories line 205 I can do a killall -9 X then and it succeeds, but a few seconds later the system stops responding. I've never done so many hard reboots the last few days since I first started using Linux and those chke2fs take soooo much time. :-( The curious thing is: running kded in gdb works just fine, the problem only appears outside gdb. so it must be an uninitialized variable somewhere... -- Dirk A. Mueller