List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Tracking allocated memory (was: Tracking memory leaks -- advice  needed)
From:       iglio () fub ! it (Pietro Iglio)
Date:       1999-06-25 7:23:47

On 6/24/99, 12:23:53 PM, Harri Porten <porten@tu-harburg.de> wrote
regarding Re: Tracking allocated memory (was: Tracking memory leaks --
advice  needed):

> Pietro Iglio wrote:
> >
> > However, it seems that there is another memory leak in
> > KPanel::setLabelDate(), in line:

label_date->setText(QString(dayline)+QString(timeline)+QString(dateline));

> > Can anyone explain why this command is leaving unfreed memory? Is it a
> > Qt memory leak?

> I'm currently debugging the 1.1. branch so my answer might not be
> correct for your question:

> Yes. set_label_date() leaks. But not due to the above line. It's the
> QToolTip::add() that allocates too much memory on each call under
> certain circumstances (I've sent an example to snapshot-users@troll.no
> last night). I suspect that the routine should restrain from calling
> connecting a signal to the widget each time. The fix I had on my disk
> help with the example program but not with kpanel (that has more tool
> tips as you said above).

What you say is true: QToolTip::add() is causing a memory leak. But,
according
to dmalloc's alloc_current, also the label_date->setText(...) line is
leaving
unfreed memory around (HEAD branch, Qt-2.0beta1).
If you are able to compile and run kpanel from the HEAD branch, could
you (or anyone
else) confirm that?

-- Pietro