List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Announcement: Daemon for managing dialup internetconnections now
From:       Matt Koss <koss () napri ! sk>
Date:       1999-06-24 12:46:21

On ©t, 24 jún 1999, Bjoern.Kahl wrote:
>Hallo !
>
>  I am the one, who wrote about a Connection-Manager 5 weeks ago.
>  (1999-05-15 according to kde-devel-list-archive)
>

>  After a closer look on what I have had at that time, I decided to
>  rewrite it from scratch. It took me more time than I expected, but
>  now it's done.
>
>  I have successfully uploaded the whole stuff to my homepage at
>  <http://home.netsurf.de/bjoern.kahl/netmgr/index2.html>
>  but I don't think it's the right place. Perhaps it can move to
>  kdenetworks.
>
>  The software itself functions well, the documentation is still
>  incomplete and a mixture of English (most parts) and a few lines
>  German. Just have a look. Especially I am interested in your
>  opinion about the client-api.

Hi,

as you might know, I have started some work on ConnectionWatcher myself and I
would like to know some things about your program.

How does the user specify the type of the connection ?
How does your program starts / stops connection ?
Is it possible to set that the program will use e.g. kppp or kisdn for
connecting ?

My idea was to create a general Connection Watcher with a CORBA interface.
Apps like kmail, konqueror, caitoo or icq clients would then only connect to
the CORBA signal and they would get info when connected / disconnected.
Interface definition would also contain methods for connecting and
disconnecting.

I have started some work on it using the code from Caitoo, and also created a
kcm module for general configuration ( type of connection, time interval ).
Dialog would also contain a preferred app for connecting ( this would require
some cooperation on kppp / kisdn side ).

I am not saying that we need to use the code from Caitoo ( taken from ifconfig
), if you NetworkManager works ok.
I just hope that the functionality will be similar.

    Ciao

		Matt