List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kcontrol and KTreeList
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-06-23 20:23:34

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Carlo Robazza wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I am doing some work on kcontrol and have a few questions about
> KTreeList. A little background may help. I have modified kcontrol so
> that if the user closes a module and there are still others in memory,
> then another is brought to the forefront; sort of a stacking effect.
>
> The problem is that the highlighted element in the tree list does not
> change. I want to be able to, through software, highlight a specific
> element in the tree list. One of the problems, as I see it, is that this
> element may not be visible (i.e. tree closed down). The only way that I
> can see to do it right now is to use the function "void forEveryItem
> (KForEvery func, void *user)" to itereate through the list. Then when
> the one I want is found I would have to make sure that I make it
> visible, if it isn't already, then use the function "void setCurrentItem
> (int index)" to highlight it.
>
> I am not even certain that this is possible so I thought I would check
> with the list to see if there is an easier way that I am missing.

Hi Carlo

I'm *very* glad to see you (guys) around.

Apart what Reggie already said, you might want to be aware of the fact
that Matthias Ettrich was planning a rewrite (to some extent) of KControl
exactly in order to allow some better (more intuitive work with modules).

I'm also interested in KControl (modules) and there are more.
Nevertheless, these plans are more targeted to KDE-2.0 so, please,
consider this when attempting to do large changes to KControl from
KDE-1.X. I personally think fixing it a little (if needed, e.g. as you
pointed out) is OK, but major work is not very very useful.

Cristian