List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Mail/News composer proposal
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-06-22 17:06:44

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Rik Hemsley wrote:

> On 22-Jun-99 Roberto Alsina wrote:
> >> Why would you want it as a separate app ?
> >
> > 1) So you can do a "kcompose someone@someplace.com" and not have locking
> > issues with whatever emailer you are using.
>
> Ok. What about replying, etc ? I suppose this isn't exactly relevant in KWord ;)
> However, if there is a reason for allowing replying, forwarding, etc, I have a
> URL scheme that allows for referencing of messages.

You save the original message in /tmp/somemessage.txt and call kcompose
like this:

kcompose -reply -sourcemsg /tmp/somemessage.txt

kcompose puts the right amount of ">" sets the headers and shows the
composer.

> > 3) So there would be only one central place to configure email/news
> > sending information (like use sendmail/ use SMTP through here/ etc).
>
> There will be. KControl. I'll sort out a widget (started it already) but later,
> as it's very simple to do.

Good!

> > 4) I'm sure someone else can come up with number 4 ;-)
>
> So your app doesn't have to use CORBA at all.

Good 4! :-)

> Doing a separate program will be easy. Just add the basic functionality to hand
> the message to an MTA of some form, and display the widget. Remember though
> that this basic functionality isn't that basic. You have to be able to handle
> attachments, access the addressbook, etc. If you ask me, I'd say just make a
> mail client act as a server and it'll handle requests for composition. Surely
> it'd be possible to make something like KDE::compose(address) and avoid nasty
> CORBA stuff within the user code ?

I suppose. But look at it this way: the code has to be written (or rather,
is already written in several places). This just makes it easily
accessible by other programs.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
An opinion you can't give reasons for is not an opinion worth having (I)