List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Mail/News composer proposal
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-06-22 22:53:43

On 22-Jun-99 Roberto Alsina wrote:
>> Why would you want it as a separate app ?
>
> 1) So you can do a "kcompose someone@someplace.com" and not have locking
> issues with whatever emailer you are using.

Ok. What about replying, etc ? I suppose this isn't exactly relevant in KWord ;)
However, if there is a reason for allowing replying, forwarding, etc, I have a
URL scheme that allows for referencing of messages.

> 2) So I wouldn't have to integrate it ;-)

Ok.

> 3) So there would be only one central place to configure email/news
> sending information (like use sendmail/ use SMTP through here/ etc).

There will be. KControl. I'll sort out a widget (started it already) but later,
as it's very simple to do.

> 4) I'm sure someone else can come up with number 4 ;-)

So your app doesn't have to use CORBA at all.

Doing a separate program will be easy. Just add the basic functionality to hand
the message to an MTA of some form, and display the widget. Remember though
that this basic functionality isn't that basic. You have to be able to handle
attachments, access the addressbook, etc. If you ask me, I'd say just make a
mail client act as a server and it'll handle requests for composition. Surely
it'd be possible to make something like KDE::compose(address) and avoid nasty
CORBA stuff within the user code ?

Cheers,
Rik

--