List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QString or QCString for file names?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-06-22 8:57:56

Pietro Iglio wrote:

> It is my understanding that any string that can be displayed must be
> of type QString. My question is: can I use QCString for file names
> and paths?

Yes, but why would you?

> AFAIK Linux and other UNIX file systems do not use unicode chars for
> file names.

Not yet :)

> QFileInfo::filePath()/fileName() and other similar methods, however,
> return QString.
>
> I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Not that I am aware of.

In my opinion it is by far the easiest if you just use QStrings for
everything _UNLESS_ you have a very good reason for not doing so.

In khtml for example we use KHTMLStrings because we have a good
reason: khtml does its own memory management.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
KDE, A New Millennium, A New Desktop                      http://www.kde.org