List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kurl in HEAD
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-06-22 8:16:48

"Dirk A. Mueller" wrote:

> Waldo Bastian <bastian@ens.ascom.ch> wrote:
>
> >> Besides the memory-waste it's rather slow converting the QCStrings
> >> Qt's functions returns to QStrings for kurl and back.
> > Could you be more explicit? Which functions are you talking about?
>
> see QUrlDrag. I've come over it when porting the DnD stuff to Qt's
> DnD class. They return QCString, and the existing programs normally
> use kurl, which takes QString, which produces a performance
> penality.
>
> If noone objects I'd like to adjust that. Comments please.

Are we talking about converting 1 url or 1000 urls? If you
adjust it can you provide some benchmarks on the speed of
things. E.g. constructing KURL, calling url(), calling path().

I was thinking myself to add a KURL_static class which can be
used to store URLs memory-efficient (e.g. with the possiblity
to use your own allocator) and which can be easily
converted from/to KURL.

Cheers,
Waldo