List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: STL -> QTL
From:       Steffen Hansen <stefh () mip ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       1999-06-21 19:22:12

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Lars Knoll wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Lars Knoll wrote:
> > > I'm not sure about that. While not knowing anything about MICO's
> > > internals, I would guess, that one could just add some configure switches
> > > like --enable-qt-binding and --enable-c++-binding to MICO. If done the
> > > right way, one could probably compile mico with both bindings enabled.
> >
> > Hmm, wouldn't it be just an option to the idl compiler?
> >
> I don't think so. I'm sure MICO doesn't use QStrings et al. internally,
> so you'll have to do a conversion QTL<-->whateverClassesMICOUses
> somewhere. IMO, this should happen in some common place and not in the IDL
> generated classes.

You are right. It requires support in both libmico and in the idl
compiler. Idl must be able to generate code that uses Q* classes, and
libmico must have marshallers for QString, QByteArray, etc.

Using a Qt specific CORBA binding is the best aproach IMO (unfortunately
it is also the most timeconsuming to implement).

The other way that has been suggested: Using only a subset of MICO and
using ministl instead of "real" stl puts some constraints on every app (no
STL, no CORBA features that have been left out and so on).

greetings,
--
Steffen Hansen                              |
email: stefh@mip.sdu.dk, stefh@imada.sdu.dk,|