List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Tracking memory leaks -- advice needed
From:       iglio () fub ! it (Pietro Iglio)
Date:       1999-06-20 8:37:47

I'm tracking memory usage in kpanel and I need a feature that
--AFAIK-- is not
provided by tools such as ccmalloc and leaktracker.
I need a way to detect how much memory has been allocated between two
execution
points. Suppose, for example, that I'm going through the execution
with gdb and
I have the following example code:

   Foo* foo = new Foo(.....);

   fee = buildFeeTree(....);

I would like to call a function (eg.) get_allocated_memory() from gdb
before
and after every step to know how many bytes have been allocated by the
constructor
of Foo and during the execution of buildFeeTree().
I have tried to use the __malloc_hook, __realloc_hook and __free_hook
of the
glibc library, but somewhere in the runtime the __malloc_hook is reset
to NULL.

Any help, please?

Thanks,

-- Pietro