Hi, On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Steffen Hansen wrote: > On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > Kay Roemer convinced my yesterday that I should try to strip mico > > as good as possible to get a slim version. I was very sceptical > > but here is what I did: > > > > 1) I removed IR from mico and commented out every piece of code > > using it. A hell lot of work :-( > > Isn't the IR used in KDE? No. We only need the IMR. > > 2) Removed DynAny > > What's that? Is it an Any that it's extraction code on the server-side? It is the official interface to any. It is useless. We use the mico specific interface currently which is much smarter. > > 3) Removed all the SSL Stuff > > Out with that ;-) > > > 4) Removed the POA and its policy stuff > > Argh. We use POA all over the place, and KOM uses BOA. We need both i > think. The POA is a bloat of around 500kB. I spoke with Kay and we had the idea of writing an object adapter for KDE. So we can even drop BOA perhaps. The KDE adapter would be a subset of POA I think. But I did not think very much about that. > > And here is what I got :-) > > > > a) An ORB that compiles on a single PII400 in 3min,10secs!!! > > b) [weis@teutates weis]$ ls -l /opt/mico/lib/libtinymico2.2.7.so > > -r-xr-xr-x 1 weis users 1826776 > > > > 1.8MB !!!!! > > Well, it's not exactly tiny, but still really good. There is almost no room for further optimization. I think we wont get under 1.5MB. > > c) The size of the account example is 43kB instead of 100Kb now! > > OK, that is because of ministl only? Exactly. But since tinymico doe not include so much stuff (ir/poa/dynany) it compiles faster. > > With the real STL I got 2.6 MB and 100kB accont example. > > The rest of the optimization was done with mini-stl. > > As you can see STL sucks !!!!! > > Yes, it sucks big time. But ministl sucks for those who need a real stl. But the reduce of bloat and the MUCH better compile time are good argument, too. > > .... who got almost no sleep this night .... > > Oh, then you wont size-optimize the SGI STL today? ;-) I wont ever. I looked at the code before hacking QTL. It sucks! Bye Torben > greetings, > -- > Steffen Hansen > email: stefh@mip.sdu.dk, stefh@imada.sdu.dk, hansen@kde.org > URL: http://www.mip.sdu.dk/~stefh > >