List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Haleluja :-)
From:       weis () stud ! uni-frankfurt ! de
Date:       1999-06-19 16:38:31

Hi,

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Kay Roemer convinced my yesterday that I should try to strip mico
> >as good as possible to get a slim version. I was very sceptical
> >but here is what I did:
> >
> >1) I removed IR from mico and commented out every piece of code
> >   using it. A hell lot of work :-(
> >2) Removed DynAny
> >3) Removed all the SSL Stuff
> >4) Removed the POA and its policy stuff
> >5) I wondered why buffer.pic.o was 20kB on Kays machine and
> >   64K on my. Solution: Use mini-stl. This is no problem any
> >   more since we dont use STL in KOffice (almost).
> >
> >And here is what I got :-)
> >
> >a) An ORB that compiles on a single PII400 in 3min,10secs!!!
> >b) [weis@teutates weis]$ ls -l /opt/mico/lib/libtinymico2.2.7.so
> >   -r-xr-xr-x   1 weis     users     1826776
> >
> >   1.8MB !!!!!
> >c) The size of the account example is 43kB instead of 100Kb now!
> >
> >With the real STL I got 2.6 MB and 100kB accont example.
> >The rest of the optimization was done with mini-stl.
> >As you can see STL sucks !!!!!
> >
> >I am soooooo happy :-)
>
> That's great news! Will we switch to such a tinyMico?

Yes, but I have to hack the IDL compiler since the skels and stubs
still have IR code in them. In addition I am planning to write a
new IDL backend, which uses Qt containers instead of the useless
CORBA containers and strings. So CORBA interfaces will look like
usual well designed KDE interfaces :-)

Bye
Torben