List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Haleluja :-)
From:       weis () stud ! uni-frankfurt ! de
Date:       1999-06-19 13:35:26

Hi,

Kay Roemer convinced my yesterday that I should try to strip mico
as good as possible to get a slim version. I was very sceptical
but here is what I did:

1) I removed IR from mico and commented out every piece of code
   using it. A hell lot of work :-(
2) Removed DynAny
3) Removed all the SSL Stuff
4) Removed the POA and its policy stuff
5) I wondered why buffer.pic.o was 20kB on Kays machine and
   64K on my. Solution: Use mini-stl. This is no problem any
   more since we dont use STL in KOffice (almost).

And here is what I got :-)

a) An ORB that compiles on a single PII400 in 3min,10secs!!!
b) [weis@teutates weis]$ ls -l /opt/mico/lib/libtinymico2.2.7.so
   -r-xr-xr-x   1 weis     users     1826776

   1.8MB !!!!!
c) The size of the account example is 43kB instead of 100Kb now!

With the real STL I got 2.6 MB and 100kB accont example.
The rest of the optimization was done with mini-stl.
As you can see STL sucks !!!!!

I am soooooo happy :-)

Bye
Torben

.... who got almost no sleep this night ....