List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Mail headers: advice needed.
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-06-19 11:44:55

On 19-Jun-99 Sven Radej wrote:
> Aha, so you keep the reference of first letter in thread:

If you want. It's not mandatory. It's only useful as sometimes you'll have
missed some messages (or they haven't arrived yet) so as the first reference is
quite far back, it's more likely you'll have that original.

> That requires that all mail readers keep that order in references. Do they?

I can't see why they'd reorder them. That would be foolish.

> So far as I could see:
> XFmail: no references at all, only in-reply-to

Yup.

> Pine (4.10): no references at all, only in-reply-to
> Elm: no references at all, only in-reply-to
> Mutt: References like Rik & PeRe say

Go mutt !

> Netscape (4.5 Unix): References like Rik & PeRe say, no In-Reply-To

Go Netscape !

(Empath is trying to be a combination of Netscape Messenger and mutt)

> Gnus: References like Rik & PeRe say, In-Reply-To as text (no msgid)

Not bad.

> Outlook Express: No references, no In-reply-To
> Eudora: No references, no In-Reply-To

Ouch.

I've used Outlook Express. It's as dumb as you'd expect. It can't thread to
save its life.

It would be nice if we could actually get it right ! Just doing references is
ok, but doing In-Reply-To makes it more likely that more stupid clients will
cope better.

Cheers,
Rik

--