List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Mail headers: advice needed.
From:       Sven Radej <sven () lisa ! exp ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-06-19 8:51:44

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Rik Hemsley wrote:
>On 18-Jun-99 Roberto Alsina wrote:
(...)
>> Why the second reference and not the first?
>> Am I missing a RFC somewhere, or is it tradition?
>
>You keep the first reference. It's just tradition. You can not bother and just
>remove from the front if you like.

Aha, so you keep the reference of first letter in thread:

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> told this also. (unless I messed
something which is quite likely)

That requires that all mail readers keep that order in references. Do they?
So far as I could see:
XFmail: no references at all, only in-reply-to
Pine (4.10): no references at all, only in-reply-to
Elm: no references at all, only in-reply-to
Mutt: References like Rik & PeRe say
Netscape (4.5 Unix): References like Rik & PeRe say, no In-Reply-To
Gnus: References like Rik & PeRe say, In-Reply-To as text (no msgid)
Outlook Express: No references, no In-reply-To
Eudora: No references, no In-Reply-To

And Empath does/will do as explained

Well, KMail should do as majority does.
--