List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDevelop and my hard disk
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-06-18 19:46:31

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Uwe Thiem wrote:

> When I click on "Mini-Icon" to select one for a new project KDevelop
> manages to make my SCSI hard disk not responding any more. How do
> you do that, guys?
>
> The system doesn't really freeze but without hard disk...
>
> I'm puzzled. It's reproducable. How can an application do that?

I think I once had something similar, but with a SCSI tape drive.

Something bad is done by the program while reading/writing from disk. The
SCSI kernel module dies (or better blocks). The kernel stays OK thanks to
the module plugin protection mechanisms. But you can't rmmod that module
so that you can reload it again and get by (well, in the case of
harddisks, this still remains impossible). To note that I observed such
behavior while using experimental SCSI modules (in kernel-2.0.33)

I don't think it's KDevelop specifically. It's just the kind of file I/O
error it triggers. You just didn't have other programs making that error.

Try to strace the kdevelop binary while reproducing the bug. This will
reveal maybe where the SCSI dies.

Hrrrmmm!

Cristian