List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio::pop3
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-06-18 17:33:02

Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Mario Weilguni wrote:
> > So it should be:
> > do {
> >   m_tTimeout.tv_sec = 10;
> >   m_tTimeout.tv_usec = 0;
> > } while(::select(m_iSock+1, &FDs, 0, 0, &m_tTimeout) == 0);
> >
> > or am I wrong here?
>
> Linux is wrong here.  It should not be messing with the timeout value, and
> I think this has been dealt with, and the true select syscall has been
> left with the name select, and the bogus one, has been given another name.

I think you are both right -- Mario's code is necessary AND Linux is wrong :-)

Right or wrong (okay.. almost certainly wrong), Linux does change the timeout
value so some hack is needed.  This shouldn't hurt anything on non-Linux
systems, though, so I'd vote for including it...
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth