List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KURL bugs: defending RFC 1738
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-06-18 15:53:33

Oleg Noskov wrote:
> Oh well... I didn't expect to get such an opposition to my bug report.
> All right, if you're trying to be difficult, I'm fully prepared to defend my
> position.

This is a very... *curious* response.  I think it is quite obvious that you
haven't worked in an Open Source environment very much :-)

First, ALWAYS expect "opposition".  Think of it as peer review -- this is
probably the single biggest strength of open source.  All ideas are subject to
review by other people experienced in that topic.  If you are wrong, then you
will find out about it very quickly.  On the flip side, if you are right, then
you'll probably be greeted with complete silence.

Don't take offense to this!  It is a very useful way to find the "right" way
to do something.  For instance, I posted a method for handling POST requests
over HTTP a week ago.  I immediately met "opposition" by people "trying to be
difficult" and I was *glad* for it! :-) The end result was a MUCH better
system than I had originally proposed.

So your willingness to defend your position is a great start... you'll just
need a little practice on the taking offense part :-)
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth