List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE: Heading for KDE 1.1.2 release (Week 4)
From:       Ralf Nolden <Ralf.Nolden () post ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       1999-06-18 6:09:51

Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel wrote:

> I got feedback from the KDevelop team, and
>
> kdevelop
> kdbg
>
> will be released together with KDE 1.1.2! This is very good
> news, as it will show that KDE is a perfect platform for
> developing applications.

Hi all,

as kdevelop, kdbg will be delivered in one package (that is the
intention, right ?) I would like to have all relevant parts of the
kdesdk included if possible, as many kdevelop users (mostly absolute
beginners) weren't able to locate kdesdk on the net or on their
distribution. The apps that are needed are

kdoc
ksgml2html
ktranslator

the kappgen and kapptemplate are obsolete due to the kdevelop
kappwizard, kexample as well as the kdevelop programming handbook now
covers all most used development steps including a complete description
of kde application startup and KApplication's macros.

Further, I will add an option to create set of postscript handbooks from
the kdelibs from the sources besides the automatic html generation for
the kdevelop helpviewer the next days, so developers can print out the
kdelibs documentation easily.

The kdepalettes could be made configurable with kdevelop- we could
install them on the kdevelop templates directory and offer an
installation during the kdevelop setup.

With all of this together, the package should get a new name saying that
this all contains programs for KDE /C++ development, I thought about
that but KDE-Developer Studio isn't a good idea. Any ideas are welcome.
Also, all programs in this package should install in the applications
folder in a subfolder that contains the new package name, e.g.

Applications

	KDE-builder/studio-later given name

		KDevelop 0.4.1 (will be then)
		Setup (the kdevelop setup)
		KDebugger
		KTranslator
		(other developer's programs if any)

Would that make KDE a perfect development environment ?

Yours,

Ralf Nolden
The KDevelop Team