List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: SOMLib (was: Different corba implementations)
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-06-17 7:20:15

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Pietro Iglio wrote:

> Have you seen this?
>
> http://www.martianrock.com/programming/c/SOM.html
>
> It's a simple and lightweight plug-in architecture for C++. It cannot replace
> CORBA, but could be used in a number of situations in which we don't need
> the complexity of CORBA.

In the subject of light stuff:
I have been toying with Ralf Engelschall's nps thread library from
http://www.engelschall.com/sw/nps/

I have been able to use it on Linux libc5/glibc/glibc2.1, and Solaris 7.
It is not preemptive, it blocks on I/O unless you use its special
nps_read/nps_write functions, but it really works nicely if you are
careful, and it is more portable than pthreads (it's also simpler,
actually).

I wouldn't "abuse" it, but if you want your app to be able to do simple
multithreading, it's quite nice!

Besides, because of the way it is implemented, it has minimal
evil interaction with Qt and Xlib, so you don;t need to ask your user to
have threadsafe Xlib, or worry about having all the GUI on one thread or
other annoyances.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
An opinion you can't give reasons for is not an opinion worth having (I)