List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Cleaning up libraries
From:       Christian Esken <c.esken () cityweb ! de>
Date:       1999-06-14 21:01:38

On Sun, 06 Jun 1999 Mario Weilguni wrote:

>Am Sun, 06 Jun 1999 schrieb Christian Esken:
>(...)
>>
>> One word at the beginning. I am the authof of KSlider and I would enjoy
>> geting rid of this class. But itīs not so easy.
>>
>> KSlider has a pageStep as well as lineStep, which QSlider does not have.
>> The multimedia applications need this badly.
>> Please correct me if Qt2.0 now has both "step types".
>
>I checked the html docs, there seems to be a pagestep, but no linestep. What is
>the linestep good for?

Itīs the same thing as with a scrollbar. You can "scroll" in lines and in "pages".
For MM apps, you can interpret KSliderīs steps as follows:
LineStep:   "minimal timeclick" (e.g. a second)
PageStep:  "bigger timeclick" (e.g. a minute)

You can drag the slider in lineStepīs. Pressing on the "groove" moves the slider
in pageSteps.

This message is NOT ment to demotivate you from erasing KSlider. I cannot
maintain KSlider any longer, so it just means that we need a replacement for
the current KSlider.

A simple "replacement" would be to derive from QSlider and override the
mouseClick() and mouseRelease() events. This could allow the
"PageStep-On-Clicking-Groove" semantics.

This wouldnīt change the look of the slider, but I donīt care THAT much for it.

  Christian

--
Is Unix ready for the desktop? See http://www.kde.org

The                              Christian Esken
|/  Desktop                      KDE Developer
|\  Environment                  esken@kde.org

KDE - The net transparent free Unix Desktop for everyone