List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Multi column lists
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-06-14 15:22:09

Hiya,

We have this multi-column listbox like thing (the name fails me, QListBox?)
which is used for example by KMail to show the contents of a mailbox.
(to show a list of messages)
What annoys me is the way the various columns are/can be resized.

What I would like (i think) is that these columns automatically scale to the
available width. Each column should also have a minimum width. If the
columns don't fit into the available space using the minimum width, a
scrollbar should be added. This is much like how HTML tables work.
(This doesn't surprise you, right?)

Perhaps it should be possible as well, to let the user scale the column
below the minimum width. This should never happen automatically though.

The total combined width of all columns should always be equal to or
greater than the available width (in which case the scrollbar appears)

Example 1:

[           available width           ]
[  Column 1  ][        Column 2       ]

Enlarging column 1 makes column 2 smaller until column 2 reaches its
minimum width. Enlaring column 1 further doesn't change the width of
column 2 any more, instead a horizontal scroll bar is added to the view.

Making column 1 smaller, just makes column 2 larger.

Example 2:
[           available width              ]
[  Column 1  ][  Column 2  ][  Column 3  ]

Making column 1 larger, shrinks col. 2 until col. 2 reaches its minimum
width. Enlargin col. 1 further, shrinks column 3. If col 3. has reached its
minimum width and col. 1 is made even larger a horizontal scrollbar is added.

making column 2 larger only shrinks col. 3 as long as it is bigger than its
minimum width. Making column 2 smaller, makes column 3 larger. The user can
shrink column 2 below its minimum width.

Opinions welcome.

Cheers,
Waldo
--