List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Error compiling kcheckpass
From:       Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel <mhk () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-06-14 8:43:55

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Robert Williams wrote:

> Tried that and does not work.  I have COL 2.2 and it
> appears there is no 'crypt' library on the CD.  There is a
> cracklib.  I just looked at the configure output and it
> lists -lcrypt as 'no'.  So any ideas where I can get
> libcrypt for COL 2.2 or the source code?

You don't need libcrypt. But I should tell the whole story:

libcrypt is export restriced weapon technology, so it can't be
on a Linux distribution that can be sold outside the US. (Some
distros have it nevertheless, but they could end up in jail ;)

The solution is using PAM, what kcheckpass is able to.
Unfortunately, COL has the crypt.h header file, so configure
tries to use it. Just remove the /usr/include/crypt.h file
before configuring.

Unfortunately, there is another bug in kdm, where crypt is
used unconditionally. I will commit a fix asap.

Bye,
Matthias.