List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A note to exceptions && some notes to codesize
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-06-13 17:00:25

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Mario Weilguni wrote:

> > compiler-options (with egcs and pgcc), and he came to the conclusion that
> > exception-support has improved so much that removing it actually HURTS
> > performance!
> >
> > (All on Linux/Intel egcs and pgcc - no data on other configurations)
> >
> > Peter
>
> I really doubt this without seeing any proof.

Well from the list of features that will be present in the new gcc:

* Exception handling is now thread safe, and supports nested exceptions and
  placement delete.  Exception handling overhead on x86 is much lower with
  GNU as 2.9.

However on most other non-x86 platforms (and still on FreeBSD)
setjmp/longjmp are used to throw, handle, catch, or do whatever with
exceptions, meaning there still is quite a bit of overhead.

- alex

I thought felt your touch
In my car, on my clutch
But I guess it's just someone who felt a lot like I remember you.
  - Translator