List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE: Heading for KDE 1.1.2 release (Week 3)
From:       Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel <mhk () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-06-10 15:02:56

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Sven Radej wrote:

> >TODO: Prepare applications for release
>
> Sorry for repeating this but there are things I really don't get.
>
> There are changed texts in new kbiff. Coolo said that "he is pissed", but I
> don't know what implies about the texts.
> Reason why I ask this for a third rime is that there are also few new strings
> in kmail (new feature ask before sending DSN and explanation about space
> encoding in phrases).
> And I have pending patch for spelling problems in kmail. I couldn't understand
> from the discussion is the translation system smart enough to resolve
> differences there or not. (differences are like "wont" -> "won't").
>
> Therefore, I'd like to know from the Release Dude what to do about texts. I see
> that there is phase four of two weeks for translations. But I always had the
> impression that changing of texts was not allowed.
>
> Sorry for bringing this again but I think that it's better to be safe now than
> sorry after release.

Well, my understanding has always been that texts are not
allowed to change after the application is _frozen_, i.e. two
weeks from now, to allow translators to catch up. Of course it
is a good idea to keep text changes as minimal as possible,
but if the text has to be changed, better now than tomorrow.

I don't know if the translators are informed about theses
changes automatically, so sending a mail to the i18n list
might be a good idea late in the release cycle.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Bye,
Matthias.