List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: reading mimetypes fast
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-06-09 9:02:26

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
>
> > I don't see what is the problem with having one program (something like
> > the trader I guess, except I am so corba-unaware I have no clue wtf the
> > trader is) that reads all the mimetypes at startup, and then we use the mm
> > library / shared memory for all other programs to get information from
> > this program?  Eliminates tons of repetitive memory consumption and IO,
> > and puts everything in a nice clean unified location.
>
> I think the mm library will only work between parent and child processes?
> However, a mimetype daemon would be quite useful, whether put into kded or
> elsewhere.  This way an app could query kded instead of having to read all
> of that on startup (which accounts for most of the startup time).

Yes, that's what I've been wondering, too, when I looked at mm lib.

Perhaps it's easier do to the classic mmap() on a file? (instead of mm
lib)

And, regarding Torben's impressive idea, we could make kded automatically
update the mimetype summary file when there are changes, and then make the
clients simply mmap this file.
Is this possible to implement?

Ciao,
  Simon