List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New KBiff in 1.1 branch
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-06-08 16:51:02

Denis Pershin wrote:
> I am using the latest KBiff from CVS.
> And I found one interesting behavior. When I startup it will not show its
> icon... I don't know why... And sometimes part of icon disappear.

There is some sort of race condition between KBiff and KPanel wrt. painting.
If you watch the kbiff space closely, you'll see that the icon *does* draw..
it just gets overwritten.  I put in some singleShot timers to get KBiff to
draw its icons after 1 second... and it sometimes works.  My experience is
that

a) The timer doesn't always work when starting up KDE.  This depends on how
fast KDE is starting up, though.  When it's all optimized for size and speed
and everything pops up quickly, then there is no problems.  However, when
everything is compiled with debugging info and it's just taking a long time
to start, then kpanel will do it's redraw *after* kbiff does and the icon
won't show.

b) It always works for me if kbiff is the only thing loading at the time.

You should notice that if you have the "floating status" feature enabled and
you put the cursor over where the icon should be (in other words, if you
force a repaint), kbiff will draw it's icon.

I really don't know what to do about this.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth