List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Bloating
From:       Mario Weilguni <mweilguni () sime ! com>
Date:       1999-06-07 14:29:16

Am Sun, 06 Jun 1999 schrieb Dirk A. Mueller:
(...)
> > * a lot of stuff is completly inefficient written.
>
> right. much of the code has grown and only adapted. most of it can be
> rewritten to be much more efficient, since Qt and kdelibs have new
> methods.
>
> > I'm currently working on a tool that will help to find this.
>
> something that's based on dmalloc ?

No, I was talking about code size here. Hopefully this will available soon.

> profiling support of gcc should also help much. However, I still try to
> get a working KDE.

I compiled a profiling enabled KDE version - it's not worth the effort. It's
difficult to interprete the result, and not quite clear if it does the right
thing. I stopped using it, and fell back to my own method (Pentium machine
specific registers, count the clock cycles. Not totally exact because of
multi-tasking, but gives good results. Unfortunatly, all of this stuff was lost
on friday - I have to re-write all of this. Next time, I will make regular
backups of the whole filesystem and not only my parts of my  homedirectory :-(

Ciao,
	Mario

--
Good night to spend with family, but avoid arguments with your mate's
new lover.